[Review] Its Hard To Dislike an Apple iPhone (5), but...

手機品牌, 數碼相機, 數碼電視, GPS, New cell phones, digital cameras, iPod, HDTV, media review, news & more...
回覆文章
iphonerw
文章: 1
註冊時間: 2012-11-10, 06:08

文章 iphonerw »

By G. Clough

I've owned the iPhone 4,Samsung Galaxy S3, and have tried the HTC Evo and Samsung Note, and was weary to upgrade to the iPhone 5. Apple delivered, but some say they delivered to little and I agree.
The price is stupidly high and the larger screen size was not reason alone for me to upgrade, but Once I picked it up it fit perfectly in my hand and just felt right. Unlike my iPhone 4 which I though was a bit small (hence why I bought S3) this really gives the S3 a run for its money. Let me start by going over the design.

Design:

For all those upgrading from an old iPhone or an android, when you pick this up you will notice how incredibly light this phone is. Some say that this is a fault, and makes the phone feel cheap, but I don't feel that at all. Despite its lightness, It feels like it is built tough and is truly designed to last.

The 4" screen was a great move by Apple, its not too big like the Note, but its not too small, like some say the iPhone 4 was. The screen doesn't intrude my ability to thumb away at all my applications with ease, which was one of the faults of the Samsung Note. Depending on your hand size and finger length, it may be hard to reach the power button without adjusting your hand position. I had no trouble with this but when I handed this to a friend, she was fumbling to hit the power button and slide to unlock without first adjusting her hand position several times. Turning the phone over you will notice the 2 tone effect on the bad which is visually stunning and feels incredible to the touch. The Glass on the back is meant to complement the front's strong Gorilla Glass screen, which it does perfectly. One of the main problems I always hear and encounter is dropping the iPhone 4, and whoops, the back cracked. This no longer happens, Apple clearly took time into making a tougher exterior without sacrificing pure beauty in the design. One major problem was the edges seemed to get minor dents just from being in my pocket and having it on the table. This can easily be solved with any case but was disappointed how that problem still occurred.

Apple then solves another problem that some users experienced, drop calls. I immediately noticed a stronger signal and a more precise GPS lock on when using Google's and Apple's map software. The Headphone Jack was also moved to the bottom left of the phone which I thoroughly appreciated.

The lightning port is wonderful once you make the switch since it feels more sturdy and no worries on what way to plug it in, but having to buy an extra $100 worth of plugs is annoying. You can always buy an adapter if you have a speaker system designed for the old ipod/iphone but that gets annoying after a short time.

The Front Facing Camera was moved to the top-middle of the screen which makes Face Time look much more natural. The Home Button also underwent some modification since it feels much more robust. The phone feels much more natural in my hand compared to some other phones I have tried and still feels strong despite its lightness.

Display:

I compared my iPhone 5 right next to my iPhone 4, 4s, Samsung Galaxy S3, and a HTC Evo. The difference in quality, brightness, and crispness is apparent immediately next to the old iPhones and HTC, but it doesn't seem better then the S3. For watching movies, I would choose my S3 10 out of 10 times versus this iPhone. Despite that, the 4" display and the crisp and bright display make this a very close second to the S3. With the bigger screen, people may expect typing to be easier, but its really not. I still get the cramped feeling. The taller display allows more information to be seen on web pages and while reading, but many Applications haven't been updated yet making it feel useless. Even after getting scores of updates to better fit the iPhone, over half of my Applications still are playing catch up. This problem is said to be fixed by the end of the year as more and more developers realize they need to fix it.

Interface:

I wont go over IOS 6 or anything of that nature because that is a completely different review. The 4" screen boasts an extra row of Applications which makes my home screen feel much more natural. I truly enjoy this software over my Android counterparts but that is simply a matter of preference. The Screen also adds extra space when pulling down notifications. I can now see the weather, my calender, a couple text messages, and maybe an email or 2 without any troubles at all! One thing I miss from moving from my S3 and my Windows 8 Desktop are the live tiles. Sure the Calender is technically a 'live' tile but Windows 8 and Android seemed to perfect it leaving Apple to play catch up.

Hardware:

The A6 Chip is dual core and doesn't disappoint. I thought Apple would go all in with a quad-core, but they stuck with a Dual Core Processor, and I understand why. Geekbench tested the hardware and they concluded it was twice as fast as the iPhone 4s (which I don't feel it is), but I don't disagree with how truly powerful the phone is. The phone boots in less then 30 seconds which is impressive compared to my iPhone 4, HTC Evo, and even Samsung Galaxy S3. Another reason Apple stuck with the Dual Core is that a Quad Core would put a damper on the battery life, which the iPhone really doesn't need considering I can't remove the battery. The Multi-Tasking is really good, just as I expected, and works just as well as it does on my iPad 3.

Battery:

I was expecting, like many people, a removable battery to offset the not too good battery life. This wish was not granted, but I don't really mind. I haven't really encountered any problems, I use my phone to make some calls, listen to music, and text throughout the day, with the occasional gaming break. The phone could easily handle all of this without needing a recharge.

4G Speeds:

The iPhone 5 offers 4G and this was very appreciated. Being one of the reasons I upgraded to my Samsung Galaxy S3, I was happy to finally test out how much more enjoyable 4G would make the iPhone. I tested the download speeds versus my iPhone 4, and it downloaded applications almost 2 minutes faster! It also was streaming Netflix with ease and Youtube Videos are no longer a hassle.

Maps:

This was a problem that many people encountered. The maps aren't really that much better from the first day the iPhone came out despite the updates but I hope that will change. When I was in New York, I really missed the Public Transport option on my Google Maps powered Samsung Galaxy S3. I finally decided just to go to maps.google.com and save it to my desktop for quicker access. This didn't solve Apple's maps problem, but it solved mine. I wont be using the Maps Application until it is 100% fixed.

The Verdict:

It is really hard to dislike an iPhone but this really seems to missing something. It is missing that undefinable quality that makes me want to stand for hours waiting inline to be the first one to get the awaited iPhone. I am going to keep this iPhone, but am going to be using my Galaxy S3.
Apple - iPhone 5
Apple - iPhone 5
fr-iphone-5-review.png (144.28 KiB) 已瀏覽 11011 次

脸书 | 推特 | 電郵 | WhatsApp | 微博 | 微信 | 分享推荐按钮
回覆文章

回到「手機資訊, 數碼產品, 影音器材 Digital Phones & Cameras」